Monday, July 5, 2010

Countdown To Departure

Today is July 4, the birthday of our beloved country, and I am missing our life there. We have had a wonderful time here, but the truth is I am Ecuadored out. I am excited for our trip to Cuenca tomorrow, but here are some of my reflections right now:

1) I’m tired of walking, taking taxis, and riding the bus everywhere. I convinced Beth that we should fly to Cuenca. The total cost for our entire family is $292. We went to the airline office to purchase tickets, and there was an additional $28 charge to buy them there. I didn’t care, but Beth was outraged. We left the office without tickets and a grumpy Bruce. Beth then bought the tickets on-line after going to a wi-fi spot near our apartment. She was gone for 2 hours and it was after dark when she returned. I was very worried and was getting Max and Jane ready to go look for her.

2) I’m tired of Ecuadorians constantly cutting in line. We wait patiently in lines for our turn, only to have the locals walk right up to the front of the line like others don’t exist and they are supremely important. This happens everywhere. I just want to shout at them and ask them if they have any idea of what manners are.

3) I’m tired of haggling over the prices of goods and services. The locals see our Gringo faces and think that they can overcharge us for everything. At first it was a fun game to play, but now it is just plain tiresome. At home, we might haggle over big purchases like a car or house, but here we have to haggle for a $2 taxi ride. The money is not the issue. It’s the idea of being overcharged.

4) I’m tired of musical beds at night. For a variety of reasons (Jane is scared, Max and Jane are fighting, I’m restless, we have visitors, we are traveling, etc.), we have had no bedtime routine. It has been difficult to sleep in so many different places. I miss the comfort and consistency of a permanent place to lay my head.

5) I’m tired of always being asked “no tiene sueltos?” when buying something. This phrase means “Don’t you have some change?” If I buy something for $4.15 and give a $5 bill, the vendor wants me to also give 15 cents so he/she doesn’t have to make change. This happens all the time. I used to comply, but now I just say no. The vendors are irritated, but happy to have my business. They ALWAYS have change!

6) I’m tired of being on guard all the time. After Beth had earrings snatched from her ears in broad daylight, thieves are always on my mind. We also have to watch for dog poop on the sidewalk constantly, and pedestrians do not have the right-of-way here. Max and Jane are not always so careful, so Beth and I have to protect and remind them to always look for cars, especially when we have a green light.

How spoiled am I? We have had this amazing opportunity to live and participate in a completely different culture and I am rattling off half a dozen aspects of our life here that I am tired of. The list serves two purposes. First, it gives me a chance to vent, it’s therapeutic for me. I’m trying very hard to stay positive as negativity is contagious. I want our last days here to be fun, so Max and Jane do not need to hear my feelings. I know that they, as well as Beth, can feel my desire to be home, so putting my feelings in writing gives me an opportunity to reflect quietly. Secondly, I feel it is important to let people know that our life here has not been easy and wonderful all of the time. I am a home body, and this experience has, at times, been difficult for me. Beth has done an amazing job of keeping me in check and holding the family together. We certainly have had a lot of time with each other.

As I sit and think about these past 5 months, I want to assure you that I will leave Ecuador with a new and different perspective on my life. The irritations I have felt in no way can tarnish the hundreds of awesome experiences we’ve had here. There is a satisfaction, an appreciation that I feel that I can not put into words. I am forever thankful for my family and all who have helped us and contributed to this learning adventure. I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like a pretty normal list of irritations to have in a developing country. I noticed almost all of them the short time that I was there, but of course, wasn't there long enough to want to pull my hair out. When I came back from Jamaica, I had a new appreciation for good ole living in the US of A. I can't wait to see you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trials there have been many - and isn't a good thing to realize how lucky one is when you see what goes on other than in your back yard? Everybody will be so happy to have you all back - travel safe and looking forward to seeing you all once you have settled back in.

    Skim

    ReplyDelete